Kent, OH Real Estate
Kent is a lively city nestled along the Cuyahoga River in Northeast Ohio. With a college town atmosphere and tight-knit community, Kent is an exceptional place to call home.
Kent real estate includes an eclectic mix of home styles ranging from historic properties near the center of downtown to new construction homes in the suburbs. Homes in Kent are constructed primarily in traditional, Tudor and Craftsman styles.
Lifestyle and Attractions
Kent is a medium-sized city in Northeast Ohio with a rich heritage, thriving arts scene, festivals, museums, parks, excellent schools, and a community alive with activity. Kent is located approximately 15 miles northeast of Akron, putting big-city amenities within reach for residents. Home to Kent State University, Kent is a lively college town centered around the university’s events, athletics and overall atmosphere. Kent is the largest city in Portage County, and the population fluctuates as the university continues to grow. Annual events and festivals in Kent include the Kent Heritage Festival which coincides with Independence Day, and the “Who’s Your Mama?” Festival coinciding with Earth Day. Kent has a number of cultural and arts venues including the Kent State University Museum and the Kent Stage, home to music and theater productions and four film festivals, and serves as the venue for the Kent State Folk Festival and the Kent Blues Festival.
The city operates nearly 20 parks and preserves, the largest of which being the 56-acre Fred Fuller Park. Additional parks include Heritage Park, Franklin Mills Riveredge Park, Brady’s Leap Park, and more. The Portage Hike and Bike Trail connects the downtown area, the university’s campus, and all of Summit County. Education is Kent’s largest economic quadrant, as Kent State University and Kent City Schools are the largest employers in the city. The downtown area recently underwent a major redevelopment project that attracted national attention, including a renovated pedestrian alleyway with shops and new mixed-use spaces throughout. The largest farmers market in the region, the Haymaker Farmers Market, meets downtown year-round. Kent hosts a number of historic districts including the Kent Industrial District along the Cuyahoga River, the Ohio State Normal College at Kent district with five of the school’s original classic revival buildings, and the West Main Street District with 20 private homes of various architectural styles.
Nearby Schools and Higher Education
Kent City Schools serves the majority of Kent residents, while a small portion of the city in the south end is served by the Field Local School District. Kent City Schools operates four neighborhood elementary schools, Stanton Middle School, and Theodore Roosevelt High School. Additionally, there are a number of private schools in Kent and the surrounding region. Kent is home to Kent State University, a large public research university.
The region of Kent was originally inhabited by various tribes of American Indians, which included the early Mound Builders. In approximately the year 1780, Captain Samuel Brady, a notorious frontier scout, leaped 21 feet across the Cuyahoga River to avoid capture by an unknown band of American Indians. Today, the site is now known as Brady’s Leap, and is a city park. The area was settled by Europeans starting in the late 1790s and early 19th century. The area was divided into survey townships in 1798, and almost all of what is now Kent was part of Town 3 Range 9, which eventually became known as Franklin Township. The township was named after Aaron Franklin Olmsted, the son of Aaron Olmsted, a wealthy Connecticut merchant who purchased the 16,000-acre area.
Franklin Township was settled in November 1805 when John Haymaker and his family moved west from Warren to the banks of the Cuyahoga River. His brother, George, and their father, Jacob, joined them the next year, and the families built a gristmill in 1807. The area now known as Kent experienced a slow and steady growth in the early days, but eventually, two small villages developed due to the potential for power generation from the Cuyahoga River.
In 1863, a railroad was constructed through Franklin Mills, largely due to the efforts of a local businessman named Marvin Kent. He was also responsible for getting the village named as the location of the railroad’s maintenance yards and shops in 1864. These two decisions helped revitalize the village as an important railway stop on the east-west line between St. Louis and New York City. The village was renamed Kent in 1864 to honor Marvin Kent, and the change became official when the village was incorporated on May 6, 1867.